Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I'm a licensed attorney, but not formally practicing law

Customer Question

Hi - I'm a licensed attorney, but not formally practicing law anymore (still have my licenses though). I'm about to enter into an independent contractor arrangement with a company for consulting services. I want to know if there is a clause I should put into a contract to explicitly state that this contract is not one for legal services, and that no attorney-client relationship exists.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I'm licensed in Maryland and DC. The company is in DC. I live in Virginia.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I wondered if there was some boilerplate language out there that typically gets put into contracts when an attorney isn't acting as an attorney
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Expert:  Taylor replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I would highly suggest including language that states you are not forming an attorney client relationship and none of the services rendered by you will be for legal services. Would you like some boilerplate language you can add?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please. That would be very helpful.
Expert:  Taylor replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely, give me a moment and let me know if you need anything further.

Expert:  Taylor replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay. Here is some language that would be beneficial to include in your contract agreement.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problem
Expert:  Taylor replied 10 months ago.

My contract with ___________(employer name) is not a contract for legal services nor for legal representation. By forming this contract we have not formed any attorney-client relationship and no attorney-client relationship exists from the signing of this contract. Further, i will not be providing legal advice or opinions while employed by ______________.

Expert:  Taylor replied 10 months ago.

Let me know what you think about that. If not what you are lookiing for i have a few another i could share. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Expert:  Taylor replied 9 months ago.

do you have any further questions? when you are satisfied i would greatly appreciate a positive rating! it does not cost you anything more and it is the only way i am compensated by JA! thanks for using JA and let me know if there is anything else i can help you with!