Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How can a officer hold you. wisconsin, no hes been there

Customer Question

how long can a officer hold you.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no hes been there since sunday
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no one has came and took a statement or contacted him yet
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
waukesha county in wisconsin
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If charges are pending against him, then the authorities have 72 hours (three days) to hold the individual in most situations.

If he has been held longer than this and has not been charged, then a writ of habeas corpus may be filed requesting his release.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.