Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

I am a bookkeeper. I have no school certifications to be a

Customer Question

I am a bookkeeper. I have no school certifications to be a bookkeeper. I started managing a small business 3 years ago and bookkeeping was forced on the job.
I am consist ly asked by my boss..the order personal products online for her and use the business credit card. Upon all bookkeepinfg, there are everyday personal expenses being used as business expenses as a "tax write off." I know this is incorrect legal behavior but she does not care when I bring this up. In the event the IRS audits us... am I to blame? Will I be fined? What can I do to protect myself?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Since you are not a CPA and you have apparently informed your employer that she should not be using a business credit card for personal items, you would have no liability if she is audited and the IRS fines the business or takes other action. Another reason why you would not be in trouble is because it does not appear that you are preparing her tax returns and signing them as her professional tax preparer. That is where she will take the step that potentially gets her in trouble. What you might want to also do is keep a journal/log record for your own purposes of when you have spoken to her about this and also when she makes the charges. That way you have a record of what and when you did something.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.