N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

I have a friend who claimed she knew how to file

Customer Question

I have a friend who claimed she knew how to file guardianship papers, she basically left me hanging just after filing. my cort date is sept 13th. I need help finishing my paperwork
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: would you like to hear my story
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to get guardianship of my 4 yr old grandson who has lived in my home since birth, his mother , my daughter also has lived with me. for the past 3 yrs i have been dealing with her taking off leaving my grandson in my care , it has progressed to weeks at a time, not knowing where she is, at one point she agreed to guardianship and now says all i need is a piece of paper allowing me to take him to doctors etc. She has a very bad attitude towards me and my grandson, im not sure what shes involved in, I want to be sure these papers are done correctly before court on sept13th. Thank you, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please help me, I would be willing to make payments if possible. Thank You
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question.

Do you want a formal court ordered guardianship? If so, would the parents consent to that?

If you just need a paper that will let you enroll the child in school, you can use this.

A formal appointment power of attorney form to be signed by the parents is posted at

appointment of short-term guardian for minor child(ren) and durable ...

and that would basically give you the powers of a court appointed guardian without having to go to court. If she is willing to sign and notarize that, it should resolve the immediate problems.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.