Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I live in Tracy Ca. My wife and I seperated in Nov. 2011, My

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Tracy Ca. My wife and I seperated in Nov. 2011, My house was $65,000 under water, I'm finally filing for divorce, now she wants half of what my house is worth, which is now $100,000-$150,000. Is she intitled? she has her own residence since Nov. 2011, no sex for 3 years prior to seperation, both of us starting dating others, never have had dates with each other.Thank you Don
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought the house in my name only, with a $77,000 down payment from a house I sold, that I bought in my name previous to my marriage. Also I bought a parcel of land in cash In my name only during our marriage.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.

Did you acquire the house while married?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought with a $77,000 down payment from the sale of my first house I purchased in my name previous to our marriage.

I see. California is a community property state so any asset you purchase while married is deemed both of yours as part of your marital estate. Typically the courts divide all assets equally not necessarily a house but the split of all assets would need to be equal. She is entitled to 50% equity in the house unfortunately. I do see how you view that as unfair since you have not been truly acting like a married couple.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even tho I've paid the mortgage alone for the past 5 years, without her help? Could I get credit for half the mortgage of the last 60 months, from her 50%?

You can certainly ask the court. Overall, the court will try to make sure the total of everything you and she gets is 50/50. That is how California judges typically approach these situations.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've also have had my oldest son with me since the since the seperation, and my middle son that we split 50-50 til 3 years ago when he turned 18, and we split my youngest who is 14 now. So I have had the burden of my 2 oldest live with me.

You could get child support very possibly as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.