Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in the USA and I'm buying a house in Mexico with my

Customer Question

I live in the USA and I'm buying a house in Mexico with my girlfriend. Will put it in her name to save about 10,000 because she is a Mexican national. How can I cover my butt if she decides to kick me out
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The problem is if you put it in her name, you cannot cover your butt in case she kicks you to the curb. In fact once you put that house in her name it is her house and she has full ownership. The only protection you would have is if she is willing to grant you a lien against the property as a mortgage holder, which you would file with the recorder of deeds against the property. In the event she kicks you out, you hold a lien and she cannot sell the property without paying that lien first. That is the only protection you could have.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would lien be filed in USA or Mexico
Thank you for your reply.
The lien needs to be filed in Mexico because that is where the property is located.