alex reese
alex reese, Attorney
Experience:  BS, MS, JD

I hope i have a patent an product, the company

Customer Question

i hope i have a patent an product, the company wants to market it, But they want 8k to 10k up front an 10% to 15% on sales which im fine with if they really do what they say they can put me in big box stores, are they for real ?
JA: What's the invention's purpose?
Customer: its called the Neat Cleat its a replacement cover for elect outlets which will let you wrap all excess elect cords
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: about ?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i just want to know if are a scam or a company that does what they say
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  alex reese replied 1 month ago.

hello. I cannot tell you whether this company is a scam (and neither can anyone else beyond what you may find based on a Google search), since there is no legal list or designation of "scam" companies. But I can tell you that most of the companies are scams in the sense that they take your money and rarely get results or provide any value, they just send out generic mailers and give you brochures etc. More importantly, if at all possible, you should never deal with such companies (or disclose your invention to anyone) until you have filed a patent application. If you have not done so, and have not met with a patent attorney, then that must be your first meet with a patent attorney and see where you stand on protecting your invention. For less than the $8-10k

that this company is asking, you could get a utility patent application prepared and filed by a patent attorney. That should be your first priority before any thoughts of marketing, manufacturing etc. and without patent protection, the invention has little to no value.