Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I have a question about Auto Insurance in and looking for

Customer Question

I have a question about Auto Insurance in Virginia and looking for someone that can answer a question. I had my granddaughter insured under my auto policy because she was living with me and using one of my cars. The car was in accident and considered Totaled. My granddaughter moved out and is living with her mother. My insurance company let me remove the vehicle, but will not let me remove my granddaughter even though she no longer resides at my house. They state that I have prove she is insured by another insurance company before they will remove her from mine. Is this legal?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Virginia / the car was a 2007
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet I was looking on the internet from information on this type of situation
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No I am just confused as to way they would force me to prove insurance of a person that no longer lives with me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

There is a Virginia law governing excluded drivers. An excluded driver is someone that you say explicitly is not covered by your insurance policy. In Virginia, the law provides: "an insurer may exclude any person from coverage under a personal umbrella or excess policy, if the exclusion is requested in writing by the first named insured and is acknowledged in writing by the excluded driver." Now your contract with the insurance company may provide additional requirements in order to remove your granddaughter from your insurance policy. If you are having issues with them, you could always just switch insurance companies.