Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My husband and I were in a domestic violence argument my

Customer Question

My husband and I were in a domestic violence argument my husband was arrested I was so upset I lied about I've been to try and get him in more trouble. If I change my statement now now what kind of trouble I'll be looking at I'm in Colorado and don't understand for this I tried to research it but it's confusing
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello.

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

You could be charged with making a false report to the police. Many times, they do not pursue the charge, but if they have expended manpower on this charge, you could be forced to pay back what the state has spent.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

§ 18-8-111. False reporting to authorities

(1) A person commits false reporting to authorities, if:

(a) He knowingly causes a false alarm of fire or other emergency to be transmitted to or within an official or volunteer fire department, ambulance service, or any other government agency which deals with emergencies involving danger to life or property; or

(b) He makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities of a crime or other incident within their official concern when he knows that it did not occur; or

(c) He or she makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities pretending to furnish information relating to an offense or other incident within their official concern when he or she knows that he or she has no such information or knows that the information is false; or

(d) He or she knowingly provides false identifying information to law enforcement authorities.

(2) False reporting to authorities is a class 3 misdemeanor.

(3) For purposes of this section, "identifying information" means a person's name, address, birth date, social security number,

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

The possible penalty for a Class 3 Misdemeanor in CO is a $50 fine and up to 6 months in jail. Though I suggest the jail time would be suspended.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

In DV assaults, it is rare for charges to be brought because police and the district attorney know many times the abuser convinces the victim to recant.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

And sometimes, the DA will bring in a recantation expert to determine is the "victim" has been forced to change their story.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time. Thank you.