Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am(was) a licensed distributor of dairy related products

Customer Question

I am(was) a licensed distributor of dairy related products in the state of NJ.
My business recently was severely impacted economically and I was forced to close.
unfotunatley, due to this situation some of my creditors were hurt due to my inability to pay past invoices.
I am now trying to dig my self out and hopefully work my way back using my contacts and working for another dairy distributor for now.
the state of NJ has put a stipulation in the licencing process for the other distributor that fobids me The Right To Work in the only field I have known.
are they legally allowed to do such a thing and do I have any recourse
thanks John M.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.If you owe money to the government for any form of taxes they can refuse to allow you to have any form of professional license. They do this to doctors and attorneys as well, suspending their license for non payment of a government debt. If the debt is non government debt then the government has no right to restrict your license.You may want to consider filing bankruptcy, which no longer is as bad as people used to think it was. You can file to get all of your unsecured debts extinguished. This can also be applied to some government debts in addition to your other unsecured debts