Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

In the state of PA if a person has a claim check from a

Customer Question

In the state of PA if a person has a claim check from a lawyer does that lawyer have to get a letter from the welfare dep. that you have never been on welfare and will not release the check to you till they get that letter for their files. They have had my check for over 8 weeks. thank you
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Act 44 of 2008, 62 P.S. §§ 1409, et seq.,[1] applies to matters involving persons who have received certain benefits through Pennsylvania’s Department of Public Welfare (DPW). The Act applies to claims and causes of action asserted on or after September 2, 2008. Under the Act, DPW can now sue third parties and insurers directly, or petition to intervene in an existing lawsuit, for reimbursement.

Under the Act, third parties [your law firm] and insurers are subject to civil money penalties if they fail to comply with the notice requirements or make disbursement of settlement proceeds in matters where DPW has an interest without insuring payment of DPW’s claim.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** much