Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My wife after 26 yrs got a big inheritance didn't put in our

Customer Question

My wife after 26 yrs got a big inheritance didn't put in our account now she filed for divorce what should I do
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am sorry to hear that the marriage is ending..

.

I hate to have to tell you this, but inheritances and gifts are considered the separate property of the recipient. So the inheritance is her separate money and is not subject to any division in the divorce. The only assets that are subject to division are assets that you acquired during the marriage, excluding gifts and any inheritances.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the quick response.

You are very welcome. I am sorry that the news is so lousy..

.

./

thanks