Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am looking for advice, I have court tomorrow for a

Customer Question

I am looking for advice, I have court tomorrow for a property that I have a lien on as a contractor. The lender is being sued for fines by the city of Chicago and I was named to appear. I was wondering what I should do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: IL
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You will need to appear with proof of your lien, since if you placed your lien before the city did, you will be able to argue that your lien needs to be paid before the city lien as it was filed first on the property. The city needs to notify all superior lien holders to appear and assert their claims before the city can exercise their claim to the property for the fines. So bring proof of your lien and the amounts due.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok cool, do you think there is a chance I might get paid tomorrow?
Thank you for your reply.
Without reviewing the evidence in the city case, there is no way I could know if you would be paid tomorrow, but if your lien primes their lien you would get paid at some point before they can take the property.