Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Why would demographic infraction show up on a criminal

Customer Question

Why would demographic infraction show up on a criminal record?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: NC from 1988
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No just did a background check on myself and it showed up
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I would like to get this record removed
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

What do you mean by an demographic infraction? What sort of background check did you do? That is, was it an official background check based on fingerprints, or did you use a commercial background check service?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Commercial background
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its for a casino job and they do fingerprints an SSN
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Commercial background services base what they have on public records. They will be the first to tell you -- they all have disclaimers on their site -- that they are not to be relied upon and are not official records.

It would appear on a commercial record because this was once a public matter. This does not mean that it's part of your actual state or Federal criminal record. Information from commercial background services is frequently overinclusive.

To find out if this is really on your actual criminal history, you'd need to ge fingerprinted and obtain your official criminal record. If it is there, then you could look to the law of your state and see if you could get it expunged or sealed. If it's not there, on the other hand, you have no criminal record. You would want to contact the commercial background checker and inform them of the error.

I just saw your latest post which came through while I was typing. If you're sayiing that the casino found your infraction after printing you for a job, if it is only an infraction, it is not a crime. Crimes are misdemeanors and felonies. An infraction should not cause you to lose a job unless they asked you to disclose infractions and you failed to tell the truth on the application.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.