Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My daughter's car has been impounded as evidence in her

Customer Question

My daughter's car has been impounded as evidence in her boyfriend's murder in Lake Worth, Florida. He was shot while standing outside of the car, but then sat down in the car and passed away. The police are holding as evidence. The murderer was caught on video, but the police have not been able to find him (over three weeks). The vehicle is in her name only and she has no other means of transportation - she has to young girls (2 and 7). Does she have any recourse? Can she get any assistance through victim services (he was the 2 year old's father), or help with transportation? The detective told her they can hold the car until after trial.
Thank you
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, she would need to file a motion to intervene and/or ask victim services to get involved and ask the Judge to release the vehicle. Since it was involved with this crime and evidence, the Judge will decide if the car can be released. The court is not going to provide any alternative transportation, so victim services may be the only one who could possible provide outside financial assistance, if the Judge refuses to release the vehicle, since it is evidence and part of the crime scene.