Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I asked an architect to send me a drywall description for a

Customer Question

I asked an architect to send me a drywall description for a hand drawing for a 1000.00 project. He sent me a 5 page description he did not draw or author that came from the internet and then invoiced me without contract for $225.00. He did not mention fees and I assumed that since we just finished a project in which I retained his services for $4000.00 he was doing it as a courtesy as no fees were mentioned. Am I liable for his invoice?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Since there was no real meeting of the minds here, it would be hard to say that you breached any contract with him if you did not pay the invoice. However, if he wanted to he could sue on a theory of unjust enrichment for the fair value of his time and expertise [whether that is proven is court to be $225.00 or less] to locate and send this drawing to you; assuming that he did not violate any copyrights in doing so.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aren't there state laws which bar Architects from performing service without contract or consent. I'm in illinois
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry but I am not aware of any such laws or regulations. It appears that he had your consent to perform the services; but there was just no meeting of the minds of what the PRICE of the services would be and thus no contract was formed. This is garden variety equitable unjust enrichment issue which is done off the contract or when no contract is in place.