So for a breach of written contract, the statute is 5 years; oral contracts are 3 years; the death of a person results in the statute of limitations being the applicable statute, or 1 year from date of death, whichever is later.
Section 8.01-229 (here: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter4/section8.01-229/)
2. Death of person against whom personal action may be brought.
a. If a person against whom a personal action may be brought dies before the commencement of such action and before the expiration of the limitation period for commencement thereof then a claim may be filed against the decedent's estate or an action may be commenced against the decedent's personal representative before the expiration of the applicable limitation period or within one year after the qualification of such personal representative, whichever occurs later.
§ 8.01-246. Personal actions based on contracts.
Subject to the provisions of § 8.01-243 regarding injuries to person and property and of § 8.01-245 regarding the application of limitations to fiduciaries, and their bonds, actions founded upon a contract, other than actions on a judgment or decree, shall be brought within the following number of years next after the cause of action shall have accrued:
1. In actions or upon a recognizance, except recognizance of bail in a civil suit, within ten years; and in actions or motions upon a recognizance of bail in a civil suit, within three years, omitting from the computation of such three years such time as the right to sue out such execution shall have been suspended by injunction, supersedeas or other process;
2. In actions on any contract which is not otherwise specified and which is in writing and signed by the party to be charged thereby, or by his agent, within five years whether such writing be under seal or not;
3. In actions by a partner against another for settlement of the partnership account or in actions upon accounts concerning the trade of merchandise between merchant and merchant, their factors, or servants, within five years from the cessation of the dealings in which they are interested together;
4. In actions upon any unwritten contract, express or implied, within three years.
Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.
Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned
5 stars *****
as I strive to provide my customers with great service.
(no additional charges are incurred).
Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.