Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

I applied for louisiana food stamp card for my daughter that

Customer Question

I applied for louisiana food stamp card for my daughter that i adopted 19 years ago. She is disabled. I applied under her adopted name (my last name) and her soc security number. The state approved her but her food stamp card is under her real fathers last name. Why is this?? And how did they get his name? I am confused.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did I really adopt her. My ex wifes father ( he was the attorney) handled all the paper work back then. Now i feel like something shady went on.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 3 months ago.

Hello holly,

They got the father's name from your daughter's social security number. When a child is born and given a social security number, the birth mother and father's social security numbers are also listed on the social security application for the child. So, the birth mother and father's social security numbers are linked to the child's social security number. So it is likely the case that when the child's name was changed to your last name, the Social Security Administration was never notified of the name change. So, when you applied for food stamps using her social security number, the Social Security Administration and thus the Food Stamp administration just used her father's last name for the food stamp program believing that that is her legal name.

I believe you need to check with the Social Security Administration to see if they were ever notified of her name change to your name, and if not you should notify them of the name change. This might mean that you also might have to amend the food stamp application to get her correct name on the food stamp card.

homas