LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

We cosigned a student loan for our son. He is defaulting on

Customer Question

We cosigned a student loan for our son . He is defaulting on it. Do we have any way of getting out of this or minamizing our costs? My husband is 70 soon and I am disabled.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. In a situation like this, to minimize your costs, it would be best to present an offer to settle with them, paying in a lump sum. I say this because when it comes to student loans, getting out of paying them is not possible. As such, if X amount was borrowed and owed, then you can offer Y, to try and resolve this and limit your financial exposure. When a party co-signs, they agreed to be responsible and while I know you were helping him out when you signed, the lender will try and go after you and him.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.