Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

A co-worker at my workplace put urine in my toaster

Customer Question

A co-worker at my workplace put urine in my toaster oven,when I warmed it up to toast something it smelled of it. He told other workers what he did but He denied it when I confronted him.Management refused to believe me .When I said I was going to send it out for DNA testing he confessed to me and to management.They sent him home for the day and were going to suspend him for two weeks but asked me if it was ok to call him back the next day for we are a small factory and all is needed to get things done. I said ok and requested a pay increase for compensation which they agreed. End of story there. My question is can I sue him for an amount of money ? He and his Dr.wife are wealthy. I still have the oven for proof of what he has done. I would donate any settlement to charity.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Unless you agreed to forego pursuing a civil claim for damages as part of resolving this with your employer, then you should have the right to sue.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

You could sue for the cost of the toaster and also for any associated damages for pain and suffering, emotional distress, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

That said, you're not looking at a huge amount of money (or that'd be my guess) given it was an immature prank and didn't physically harm anyone.