P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

I took my son who is physically disabled on vacation. We

Customer Question

I took my son who is physically disabled on vacation. We rented a house on the ocean that was supposed to be handicapped accessible and it was not....The owner of the house advertised that the house was accessible and the house was FAR from accessible. do I have any recourse?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: can't find one that deals with disability issues.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not sure what you mean?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

IF the home was not as advertised? And you could not use it

You can demand a refund for the money you paid.

And you can do this in small claims court.

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the county court (the county where the home is located) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court.

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil