How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101731
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an unlawfull detainer on my record, how do I get it

Customer Question

I have an unlawfull detainer on my record , how do I get it off?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i was wrongly evicted from the apt
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

See HERE. Someone in your situation would have to file a Motion to Seal, serve the Plaintiff in the case, and set it for a hearing. The Judge will decide on a case by case basis. The problem however is that most of the time, such motions are used for sealing medical records, names of minors, and other such highly sensitive matters. As such, I am afraid that the chances of your record being sealed just because you disagree (however rightly) with the decision are slim.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thought this was Bay area legal aid , a freeservice , this is a scam
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. This is An independent website not associated in any way with any legal aid. I am not sure why you thought so, especially because you have to create an account, click through disclaimers, and enter your credit card information before asking your question.

I will go ahead and send your thread to customer service. All the best.