Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My 73 year old mother is having troble paying her power

Customer Question

hello, my 73 year old mother is having troble paying her power bill. BG & E has turned of her power. They say she owed $3000 since May 2016! Energy assistance paid $1900 of the bill and she is trying to get the rest of the money together. In the mean time she is without any electricity.
Her bill states that they cant turn off the power if you are over 65 years old. When she mentioned that to them, they said they dont pay attention to that!
There is a long history of other offenses that they have done to my Mother. Is there someone we can contact to listen to all they have done to her and get some legal advise?
I beg you, please help before its too late! Deborah Jackson
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you verify, this is in MD?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay

Sorry...I have to step away and will opt out to allow other to assist you

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your mother's difficulties.

On the back of her bill, there is number to call and government agency to contact and file complaint against the electric company for turning off electricity of an elderly. This is usually the Public Utilities Commission ("PUC"). Click here for the contact information of Maryland Public Service Commission and to file the complaint.

Best wishes,

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.