LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I WAS STOPPED ON I-95 SUNDAY 8/21/16 GOING TO CHURCH, i HAD

Customer Question

i WAS STOPPED ON I-95 SUNDAY 8/21/16 GOING TO CHURCH, i HAD JUST GOT ON THE EXPRESSWAY & OUT OF "NOWHERE" THESE 2 FHP TROOPER HAD THIER LIGHTS BLAZING & I PULLED OVER, IWAS ALREADY IN THE SLOW LANE DRIVING, HE TOLD ME " I DIDN'T HAVE MY SEAT BELT ON" THAT'S ALL !!!..I EXPLAIN TO HIM I WAS GOING TO PUT IT ON OVER MY BULKY JACKET ( WE HAD A FUNERAL TO ATTEND AFTER CHURCH THAT DAY ) HE GAVE US A TICKET ( ME & MY PASSENGER), i FELT SO NERVOUS AFTERWARDS I HAD TO GET OFF I-95 & TAKE LOCAL TRAFFIC TO GET TO CHURCH, AS A SENIOR CITIZEN I FEARED FOR MY LIFE WHEN THE TROOPER ASKED FOR MY DRIVERS' LICENSE & I HAD TO GO INTO MY BIG & BULKY POCKETBOOK
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: FLORIDA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO NOT YET, & WHEN i GOT TO CHURCH ( NEW BIRTH BAPTIST) SEVERAL MEMBER TOLD ME TO " FIGHT THESE CHARGES"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: SHOULD I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A " WARNING "FIRST SINCE THIS HAS NEVER HAPPEN TO ME
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I am so sorry to hear about what you went through. Can you clarify what your question is? Just to be clear, you did not have your seatbelt on when they stopped you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had no seatbelt on

Thank you for the additional information and I am sorry to hear about what your experienced. A warning is at the discretion of the police officer. If this was your first time being stopped for this infraction, the nice thing would have been to provide you and given you a warning. However, it is not required. Now, you do have a legal right to right this and can take the case to trial, if you want. If you do and the Officer fails to appear, the case will be dismissed. If he does appear, it may be hard to prevail, since you will be under oath and should not lie about having your seatbelt on.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!