Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I was admitted to an ICU for an overdose. I wasn't exactly

Customer Question

I was admitted to an ICU for an overdose. I wasn't exactly lucid and headed for the door to have a cigarette. 3 men and 2 women dragged me back to the bed-1 sat on my left arm, 2 held my torso and right side and 2 held my legs. The one who sat on me questioned if he should do so. I told them all that I was having anxiety and if they would all just let me breathe I would comply. They would not. They forced 2 shots of medication (ativan and something else). I have bruises and a hurt shoulder. Is this legal?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 months ago.

This seems like excessive force. The only justification might be if you posed a threat to yourself or others.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I defended myself because I felt threatened and that the way they sat on me and held me was in fact excessive. Do you they have to ask my family member to sign consent to authorize a restraint like this?

Sometimes there is no time to seek this type of consent. The issue that a court would consider is what is the industry practice regarding a situation like this.