Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My grandmother is trying take back all the things she bought

Customer Question

My grandmother is trying take back all the things she bought me has a gift can she do that
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

No, she can't. Once a gift is completed by the actual physical delivery of the gift, then legal ownership transfers and the person making the gift gives up any legal rights that they have to take it back.

.

So once she gave you something, it is yours and she can't take it back.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is taking me in front of a judge in a month what should I say to the judge that she can't the gifts back

You just have to convince the judge that whatever she gave you was a gift, not something that she loaned you or something that she bought for you and you had to pay her back for.

.

If you don't have anything in writing about the gifts then it would boil down to verbal testimony and whose story the judge finds more credible.

.

.

thanks