Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My wife was storing her late mother's 3 mink coats and the

Customer Question

my wife was storing her late mother's 3 mink coats and the company denied us the storage fee and stated that they sold her minks. Is there any recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: CT
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that the storage fee was $680 and the minks are worth 40k
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the storage fees paid late at any point?

Did you review a copy of the storage agreement to see if the storage reserved the right to sell any items stored, if the fees were late or delinquent?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they were late however we also had a 20 year or more relationship with them. They went on vacation and we were unable to contact them. We also had a death in the family in May and there were extenuating circumstances. This was done unfairly. 40k worth of minks sold over a $680 storage amount and the company wasn't answering calls to discuss payment? That's just ridiculous.

Thank you for your follow up.

How delinquent were the payments for storage?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me research my notifications on that as well as the agreement.

Please let me know after you found and reviewed the contract with storage, what is states as far as the storage facility right to dispose of stored property, if the payment delinquency occurs.

Thank you.