CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was arrested and put in jail for 7 months never tried or

Customer Question

I was arrested and put in jail for 7 months never tried or convicted of a crime now they have turned me over to a collection agency saying I owe them for the time I spent in jail
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While the concept of charging inmates fees for their imprisonment is being contested as an "excessive fine" - in your case, you should never have been billed at all.

Iowa's inmate billing system only works for inmates that were actually convicted of a crime.

You can combat this by filing suit against the county (the creditor) in court. You can try finding a lawyer that will handle your case - usually looking for a lawyer that represents plaintiffs in what we call "1983" cases (named after 42 USC 1983 - the Federal Code that allows citizens to sue government employees).

You may even be able to include a claim for "false imprisonment" depending on the circumstances surrounding your jail stay.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).