CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I was arrested and put in jail for 7 months never tried or

Customer Question

I was arrested and put in jail for 7 months never tried or convicted of a crime now they have turned me over to a collection agency saying I owe them for the time I spent in jail
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While the concept of charging inmates fees for their imprisonment is being contested as an "excessive fine" - in your case, you should never have been billed at all.

Iowa's inmate billing system only works for inmates that were actually convicted of a crime.

You can combat this by filing suit against the county (the creditor) in court. You can try finding a lawyer that will handle your case - usually looking for a lawyer that represents plaintiffs in what we call "1983" cases (named after 42 USC 1983 - the Federal Code that allows citizens to sue government employees).

You may even be able to include a claim for "false imprisonment" depending on the circumstances surrounding your jail stay.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).