Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a retired Postal Service employee presently receiving a

Customer Question

I am a retired Postal Service employee presently receiving a pension under CSRS. During most of my Postal Career I paid very little into Social Security outside of a few few small part-time jobs held. When I retired at age 55 I started working part-time and by age 62 earned enough credits to qualify for minimal social security benefits. At age 62 I was informed by the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) that due to my eligibility for Social Security benefits my annuity would be reduced by approx. $300.00 a month due to a ruling to basically prevent "double dipping". I believe at that time the amount was about what Social Security said I was eligible for. They did reduce my monthly annuity approx 300.00 after my 62nd birthday. I have since applied for SS benefits and they also decreased my monthly amount by approximately $300.00 due to my collecting a government pension. Am I being double-dipped here?? I have already lost approx $12,000 over the last 4 years because I was eligible for but chose not to collect Social Security Benefits. I have continued to pay into Social Security with every paycheck. I am very confused.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, our elected officials in DC did decide that collecting government benefits based on our work and also collecting social security is deemed a "windfall" to us. Thus, under the Windfall Elimination Provision, SS can be reduced based on the amount of government pension you receive. So, unfortunately your annuity decreases based on SS and you SS decreases based on what you receive in government benefits thanks to our elected officials. (If I sound a bit bitter about it, as someone effected personally by this silly law, I am, but unfortunately, it is the law).