David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law

I play a mobile game thats rampant with cheating of the

Customer Question

I play a mobile game thats rampant with cheating of the players. It's operated by Chillingo (a chinese based games publisher), but owned by Electronic Arts,an American publisher. Can I sue in small claims court? Would i sue Chillingo or EA, or both?
Expert:  David Stewart replied 2 months ago.

Hello Ian: my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you today. The short answer is you can sue both entities in small claims court in your location because that is where you play the game. Here is a link that takes you step by step through the process start to finish on filing a small claims matter in California. The question you will have to answer with evidence is what are your damages and are they caused by the game operator or people cheating on the game. For instance, if the game operator can do nothing to stop the cheating of dishonest players you would not win the claim. In addition, when you began playing the game the terms and conditions of use may waive your right to assert a claim. One suggestion for you to consider is to consult a class action attorney. Here is a firm that carries a solid reputation for you to consider:

The way that would work if the attorney thinks there is a claim is that you would be a class representative and the group would seek to recover their fees to purchase the app or for in app purchases they made. As the class represntative you would get a cut off of the award or other amount that you work out with the attorney. This would prove to be much more profitable for you and painful for the game operator than a small claims matter. I hope this answer helps you and feel free to reply with any follow up. All the best, David

You may also consider talking to this attorney who has experience dealing with Apps such as Uber and others that could easily tell you if you have a good claim and help you recover the maximum amount.

Ian - please let me know if you have received a full response to your questions. Also, since I have not heard back from you I am going to offer a phone call to go through my advice and answer any questions in more detail you may have if you believe that may help you. I really hope the information I provided you helps! David