Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I opened my first Gmail account in April 2005. Recently I've

Customer Question

I opened my first Gmail account in April 2005. Recently I've been receiving email notifications of accounts and services I have not opened. After searching a little bit, it seems that someone with has been using the same email from Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic!!! I tried to contact Gmail support today and the person that answered the phone said that was not possible and hung up on me. I called back to that number and they didn't answer. What can I do? Is there a legal fault from Google/Gmail?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Google is not liable for hacked accounts I am afraid. All you can do is change your password ***** enable the multi factor authentication which requires not only the password ***** has to authorize the device it is being used on, your computer or phone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your answer, but I'm not talking about a hacked account. The account with the issue is the account with my maiden name, which is a common name in Latin America. I opened my account with a dot between name and last name, after a few years I started receiving emails even from friends that didn't type the dot. If someone in Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic is providing that email to open AT&T, Apple and Netflix accounts, they think somehow they own that address. Obviously, that person is also a victim of this Google mistake. Should I contact this person if I can track their phone number through these emails or should I try to find an expert in email issues (not hacking)?

Thank you for your reply and your clarification.

If this is a mistake, then you need to contact the other person as well. It is not a Google mistake to allow someone to open an email in a name that is similar to your name. If you had a dot between the first and last name and someone had an account without the dot, Google considers it to be a different email address. So you can contact the person with the other account and try to resolve the issue with them, but it is not Google's fault legally I am afraid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Law Educator, Esq.
I'll try to find someone in Google that understands that I did not decide to let get in my inbox emails send to***@******.*** and***@******.***. That is a technical issue defined by Google/Gmail, but not me. Therefore, they need to fix it. I have too many emails sent to me with both addresses for many years. I appreciate your time and effort.
Thank you for your reply.
They should not allow duplicate email addresses, that they can correct. However, if the email addresses are different, they can refuse to do so.