Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

This may be a difficult question because I am questioning

Customer Question

This may be a difficult question because I am questioning the integrity of an attorney who I hired to protect my interests while I voluntarily terminated my employment with a large, powerful dental service organization and went to work for a small, privately held dental company. My exit from the D'SOUZA, Heartland Dental, was without incident, but the contract that I entered into with the new corporation did not protect my interests in the least, and I ultimately forfeited $10,000 as a penalty for early termination a position that was totally misrepresented to me by the owner of that business. Now my attorney wants another $950, in addition to the $1500 paid up front. His advice that my new contract would protect my future interests with the new company was totally erroneous, but he wants to be paid anyway and has threatened legal action to collect for his faulty advice. Please let me know if I have a legitimate argument that will be valid in small claims court. I have considered a counterclaim to recover the $10,000 that his erroneous advice caused me to loose.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also,occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I don't know that you want to be questioning his *integrity* as much as you want to be questioning his legal skills as far as contract interpretation goes...

But if his faulty advice caused you to lose out on money you're well within your rights to tell him that you dont feel he is entitled to payment. Obviously there are two sides to every story so you have to be prepared for his response. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please take a moment to rate positively so that I receive credit for working with you.