Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am a retired senior, presently unemployed, seeking payment

Customer Question

I am a retired senior, presently unemployed, seeking payment for work done.
The company I was working for as a language interpreter declared Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I was working as an “independent contractor” within the Alexandria-Fairfax, Virginia area. I am one of the many interpreters seeking payment for work performed, in my case, for work performed during 6 months in the amount of US$ 8,000.-
I have received a notification from the Court and/or chapter 7 trustee, notifying me of an “Objection to Claims-Priority Wage Claims” filed to change the “priority wage claim” to “general unsecured claim”, and asking me submit a written respond to the Objection if I do not want my claim to be reduced, modify or eliminated.
Could you tell me if you can help in writing the response and what would be the cost?
Thank you for your kind attention.
Albert ***** ***@******.***
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 months ago.

The Justanswer Terms of Service prohibits any negotiation of price or terms in this forum. I will send you a premium services offer and we can take this discussion offline.

In an effort to assist you in determining whether or not it would be worth the investment to respond to the proof of claim opposition, you would have to demonstrate that in fact you were the debtor's employee, rather than an independent contractor. This is more than likely true, however, the proof is nontrivial, and requires a fair amount of research to provide the legal underpinnings to the court, along with a complete disclosure of the facts. I estimate that 2-4 hours would be required to prepare the necessary legal pleading. If you have shopped around for lawyers, I think you may be able to estimate the cost involved.

That said, I will send you the offer, and you can accept or decline at your sole discretion.

Thanks for using Justanswer!