Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My mother died some years ago and she had an account at

Customer Question

My mother died some years ago and she had an account at citibank.After receiving power of attorney i went to the bank to claim money from the account.they told me that the money could not be found and the account was absorbed.
JA: What state are you in? And can you tell me a little more about the situation driving this?
Customer: i'm in Washington .The situation this is the blood sweat and tears that it took for my mother to get the money and my mistake in not following up on the principle of the situation at the time.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She died 8 years ago i'm just curious if i have any recourse.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Check here with the state to see if they are holding funds for her.

If you don't find it online call here

Unclaimed Property

State Government Office

Address:*****SE, Olympia, WA 98501

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

These funds are sent to the state to hold to try and locate you.At some point they es cheat to the state if unclaimed.See if they still have them here.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Department of Revenue administers the unclaimed property program on behalf of the state of Washington. All the assets are held until the rightful owner files a claim. Revenue does not charge a fee for this service.

Unclaimed property typically includes uncashed paychecks, utility deposits, bank accounts, stocks and bonds, refunds, life insurance proceeds and safe deposit box contents. Usually, these assets have gone untouched by the owner for three or more years, and the holding company is required to report them to the state where the owner last resided.