legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I went through my insurance (geico) after being rear ended

Customer Question

I went through my insurance (geico) after being rear ended by a drunk driver in May. August 2 my insurance told me to go to a DC appointment. I went explained my pain under my left shoulder and my diagnosis by mri of t11/12 disc herniation. The DC said a therapeutic end result has been achieved and no further treatment is necessary. I'm still in pain and have significantly more pain if I sit for any length of time. I had been seeing a pt 3x a week and had just gone down to 2x a week. When I go to visits the adjustments reduce my headaches and pain greatly. My pt does not think I am done and I do not think I am done with pt. What can I do to continue treatment?
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this complication in addition to the car accident.

Fortunately, one can always get a second opinion to counter the opinion of a medical provider. A statement from the PT will help establish that there is justifiable concern for a second opinion. Many DCs will offer a second opinion for free; others will charge a fee, but the insurance company will typically reimburse for any medical costs, plus pain and suffering.

You mention that your insurance company is directing you on your actions, but please keep in mind that an insurance company is trying to reduce costs, which is why many victims of auto accidents will hire a private attorney.A private attorney can help get a proper diagnosis, and can also help and ensure the victim is properly compensated. Compensation typically includes
time off work (lost wages)

medical expenses

pain and suffering - this varies greatly- for example, severity of injury, whether it impacts one's quality of life, etc.

punitive damages-designed to punish the defendant from engaging in similar conduct.

The attorney will conduct discovery and will hire expert witnesses to testify on behalf of the plaintiff. Most personal injury attorneys will work on contingency and will arrange for medical treatment at no current cost (meaning it will be taken out of a future settlement/judgment).

The attorney can also help set up an independent medical evaluation-a doctor that specializes in determining the extent of injuries, which can be helpful in getting proper treatment, and can help with ensuring the plaintiff has adequate funds to help manage the pain through necessary treatments, etc.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!