DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC

I filed a small claims case against my x girlfriend and now

Customer Question

i filed a small claims case against my x girlfriend and now she has filed a counter claim and has ask the court to have her lawyer represent can i defend my self against a lawyer?
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

Is it in Conciliation Court?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Alright, so a lawyer is allowed. (In some small claims court a lawyer is not allowed). Well, generally, the way a lawyer beats a non-lawyer is with knowledge of law and procedure and they use the procedure and tactics to get the non-lawyer into trouble. But in small claims court that is much less likely to happen as the process is more "user friendly." So you should just follow what the court instructs and if the lawyer files something, look up the rules or ask here, and respond as best you can. I think you will be fine because as long as you have your evidence in order its really about the hearing and there is not much a lawyer can do at a hearing to outmaneuver you in small claims court. If it were in District Court I think it would be a little different.