P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

Louisiana Gov. Just signed medical marijuana into law. At

Customer Question

Louisiana Gov. Just signed medical marijuana into law. At the present time, there are no available dispensaries in Louisiana. Veterans Affairs recently signed into law that veterans in states where pot is legal can obtain it safely. WHERE? Is there a federal dispensary for veterans or will I have to wait till Louisiana can dispense it?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

There is no federal law requiring states to supply marijuana and there are no federal "dispensaries" for this substance (technically it is still illegal under federal law)

I am familiar with the VA policy you describe (I am a veterans service officer). But this policy does not require any state to provide any veteran with marijuana nor does it require it from the federal government

You will have to wait for the state of Louisiana to sort out the rules to allow access to patients.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the VA policy would require Louisiana to provide you access to marijuana, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding