Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a child support question, can you assist? Texas, No,

Customer Question

I have a child support question, can you assist?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: yes, I have received a survey to establish a review of my payment. I am currently unemployed but sold my home for a job relocation and have about $220 K in the bank.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What questions do you have about child support? How long have you been unemployed? Do you have another job lined up that you're relocating for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Layed off March 2016, last salary 101000. Current payment 1050 monthly. No job offers pending. Former spouse earns about 70000 annually. Have 2nd child with another party and paying support on him as well.

We're unfortunately not able to do the calculations for you. The state has a calculator available online where you can plug in the numbers and get an idea of what a judge might order you to pay.

You have the ability to show the judge that you're making reasonable efforts to find a job and have not been successful in order to get a temporary reduction of support until you get a new job. However, the judge is allowed to look at all your assets to decide whether you can afford to keep paying the $1,050 - which means you could be required to use the money from selling your house to pay support. It would not be considered an abuse of discretion to refuse to lower your support because you have money in the bank. You'd have to be prepared to explain to the judge why it would be fair for him to base support on your current income of $0.

Did you have any questions about this?