Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

If the statute of limitations is expired on a medical debt

Customer Question

If the statute of limitations is expired on a medical debt that has been sold to a collection agency, can they still sue? Will I have to pay their court costs and legal fees, even if the judge dismisses the case? The debt is from SC, and I live in CT. Which state's statute of limitations applies?
Submitted: 8 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If the statute of limitations has expired then the debt is noncollectable for the collection agency and any successors the original debtor may have assigned the debt. Any successor would step into the original debtor's shoes. So, if the limitations period has expired for the original debtor then it has expired for any successor or agent, as well

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If the debt was incurred in SC then that is which statute of limitations would likely apply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. It appears that you have requested a new expert. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.