Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I broke a lease and the landlord took me to civil court. We

Customer Question

I broke a lease and the landlord took me to civil court. We had a mediation and settled out of court with me paying $100 a month directly to the landlord until my balance is paid off. I got a notice from the court stating the case was dismissed. Do I still continue to pay the $100 to the landlord?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like it was conditionally dismissed pursuant to the settlement. In other words, if you stop paying the landlord will have the right to refile and pursue you for the entire amount (plus, it is likely, costs and attorney fees).

So, I would not recommend you stop your payments until you receive a release or notice of payment in full from the landlord.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.