Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I an a Canadian who worked legally in the US for almost 20

Customer Question

I an a Canadian who worked legally in the US for almost 20 years. It appears I am eligible for SS benefits. I applied and was approved. However, because I listed my US address (we winter in Savannah and own a home there) the SS system seems to believe I am living illegally in the US. I tried to change the address on line but no luck. I called SS and they confirmed I am eligible under the Canada/US "Totalization" agreement but to get my address problem solved they advised me to go to the US embassy in Ottawa. That seems a long way to go go just to put in my address in the file to reflect that I am a Canadian resident. How do I get this unraveled?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Barry
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes to confirm that I was eligible for SS.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: apply and give SS copies of my passport, tax statements and a birth certificate, which I have done
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so the letter I received from SS said my application had been approved but to receive benefits I had to change my residence status or leave the country. I left the US and returned to Canada in 2008 and have the tax forms to prove it. We only visit the US now for a feww months each winter.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. And the problem is the Embassy is too far away? Have you tried calling them to see if you can email the necessary information. I mean there is no legal recourse for you in this regard. You are going to have to have the address changed and that means a little leg work on your end. It is not something that can be corrected without the Embassy, apparently.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

I wish there was an instant fix on this matter. However, it should not take much to have it corrected once you provide the Embassy with all the proper information.