Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I live in NH. My father has become debilitated due to

Customer Question

Hi, I live in NH. My father has become debilitated due to stroke. We've had to place him in a long term care facility. We need to start drawing from his savings to pay for his care. I understand I need power of attorney. I'm not sure what it means and how to go about it.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: New Hampshire. None
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We had him living with us for about 6 months however he became dangerous and belligerent. During that time, I drew from a joint savings account to adapt the house, pay his bills and provide for him. Now that he's in a home, he can apply for Medicaid once his funds are depleted. There are more accounts but they are designated as having me as a beneficiary and another two that are in trust for my sister and I. We just want to be able to pay his nursing home expenses.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Give me a minute to get this for you here.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

New Hampshire Power of Attorney Form

Effective Date: ____/____/______

TO ALL PERSONS, let it be hereby known that,

I [Legal Name]

A resident of [City][State]

Located at [Address]

[City], [State] [Zip Code]

Do Hereby Appoint, [Legal Name]

A resident of [City][State]

Located at [Address]

[City], [State] [Zip Code]

If my agent is unable or is unwilling to act for me, I hereby name as my successor agent:

Name [Legal Name]

A resident of [City][State]

Located at [Address]

[City], [State] [Zip Code]

My attorney-in-fact may act on my behalf for the following purpose(s):

[____] Real Estate Transactions

[____] Stock and Bond Transactions

[____] Commodity and Option Transactions

[____] Tangible Personal Property Transactions

[____] Banking and Other Financial Institution Transactions

[____] Business Operating Transactions

[____] Insurance and Annuity Transactions

[____] Estate, Trust and Other Beneficiary Transactions

[____] Claims and Litigation

[____] Personal and Family Maintenance

[____] Benefits from Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or Other Government Programs

[____] Retirement Plan Transactions

[____] Tax Matters, including any transactions with the Internal Revenue Service

[____] Decisions Regarding Lifesaving and Life Prolonging Medical Treatment.

[____] Decisions Relating to Medical Treatment, Surgical Treatment, Nursing Care, Medication, Hospitalization, Institutionalization in a nursing home or other facility and home health care.

[____] Transfer of Property or Income as a Gift to the Principal’s Spouse for the purpose of qualifying the principal for governmental medical assistance.

This power of attorney shall take effect immediately and will continue indefinitely or until revoked by me or by my death.

I do hereby grant my attorney in fact complete authority to act in any reasonable manner that is necessary to execute the above mentioned powers that are granted.

I agree that any third party who is given a copy of this power of attorney may act relying on it. I also agree that revocation of this power of attorney is effective as to a third party only upon receipt of actual notice by the third party. I agree to indemnify the third party for any loss that may be suffered while carrying out this power of attorney.

Signature & Acknowledgment

This contract shall be governed by the laws of the State of New Hampshire in __________ County and any applicable Federal Law.

__________________________________________________________ Date____________

By accepting this appointment and acting under it, I the attorney-in-fact (“Agent”) do hereby assume the legal responsibilities of an agent.

Signature of Attorney-in-Fact

Signature of Successor Agent

WITNESS #1) _________________________________

WITNESS #2) _________________________________

You will need a couple of witnesses here when he signs it.Thanks again for letting me help you today.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.