Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter left the state last month with her boyfriend and

Customer Question

My daughter left the state last month with her boyfriend and left me my granddaughter in my care. I helped raise this child since the day she was born I even bought her a villa down the street from me so they would have their own place. Her boyfriend talked her into selling the villa and now they are in Michigan. my daughter is not a good mom she called to tell me she was sending her boyfriend to come and get Savannah. He is not a nice man he has worked 2 days since she had known him for 4 years. My granddaughter says she does not feel safe with him he has spanked her very hard and left welts on her. What kind of rights do I have. she is only seven and I am afraid for her safety.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

What kind of rights do I have. she is only seven and I am afraid for her safety.

Response: As a grandparent in Michigan you have very limited rights. See MCL Section 722.27b If your daughter does not want you to see the child you cannot see the child. However, if your daughter is not a fit parent and living with a guy that poses a risk to your granddaughter's safety, you can file for Guardianship of your granddaughter in Michigan. You need to do this immediately and tell the Court why you need the Guardianship just like you did on your post here.

The Guardianship would be filed at your local Courthouse. You can obtain Guardianship forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. You can also download the forms online:

http://courts.mi.gov/administration/scao/forms/courtforms/pc651.pdf

http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/Pages/Guardian-and-Conservator.aspx

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No she left the state of florida I have her in my care in florida. can I file it in florida
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No she left the state of florida I have her in my care in Florida can I file it in Florida
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you didn't answer my question correctly I will call the bank and demand a refund

Hello: I was offline when you replied to my post.

Your follow-up post:

19 Aug 2016, 8:52 AM

Customer

Response: Yes, you can file the Guardianship in Florida where you reside with the child. You can obtain the Guardianship forms at your local Courthouse.

Kindly note that I have not been paid for your post. I only get paid when a customer gives a positive rating to my post.