Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I recently shopped at a fast food venue which seemed to have

Customer Question

I recently shopped at a fast food venue which seemed to have a register by Apple. I had to insert my card because of the new chip Device. Later I noticed they had emailed me receipt. The problem is I never gave them my email, so did they get my information without my consent? What other information were they able to Obtain?
Adriana Guzman
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Adriana,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There are different types of these registers, but they all tend to have an option where you can choose to have your receipt emailed. If you've ever agreed to have a receipt emailed while using this type of device, it stores just that piece of information and ties it to your credit card number. There's actually a fast food place near me that emails my husband every time I buy something, because his email is tied to our credit card in their system.

Email address should be the only piece of information they have. One of the most common systems I see at cash registers is Square (which is still done through an iPad or iPhone), and you see them commonly at privately owned fast food places (including franchises of large chains), taxi cabs, farmer's markets, and other small businesses that traditionally only accepted cash. The merchant doesn't see your email address. It's done by the system the processes the credit card receipts. Here is more information:

Look to see if the receipt has a link at the bottom that says something like "Manage preferences for digital receipts." You should be able to tell the system not to send you any more electronic receipts unless you type in your email address and ask for one.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.