Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My son and I were talking through Walmart today. I took a

Customer Question

My son and I were talking through Walmart today. I took a cart to pick up some groceries. He said he wanted to wander through the shoe department. I got and paid for my groceries. He wasn't anywhere to be seen, so I texted him to let him know I was finished shopping and to meet me out at the car. He texted back saying he would be right there. I was in the car for about five minutes, then texted him again because there were perishables to be concerned about, and he texted back that he'd be right there. He finally got to the car. He was very very angry. He had been helded up by Walmart security and police. I saw police cars drive into the parking lot and park near to the place where my car was parked, while waiting for my son. After the police apprehended him outside of Walmart, they searched him and, of course, found nothing. The Walmart people said to my son, you look very much like the man we are looking for. They gave him no apology. And now, we will never shop at Walmart again. I'm incensed! Is there anything we can do?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Your son could possibly have a claim against walmart for false imprisonment (this is just being unlawfully detained -- doesn't have to actually be put in jail). He could also have a claim for gross negligence against the store for accusing your son of wrongdoing without any justification or proof.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

He should speak to a local personal injury lawyer about pursuing this claim. There's likely a less strong claim against the police officers. If they were called to the scene regarding a potential shoplifting situation, they were just following up on the call. So, it is not as if the police targeted him or sought him out.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!