Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is it legal for the owner of a company to make his employees

Customer Question

Is it legal for the owner of a company to make his employees do personal work for him around his house? Such as fix his private pier, mow his lawn, etc.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are the employees being paid for doing the other work for the employer?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just normal pay, nothing extra
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is during work hours so it is just their usual hourly wage, counted on payroll as work on the job

Ok, if they are not under a written employment contract that specifies what their job duties are, then the employer can change those duties at any time. Unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in AL is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

So if work is slow and the employer wants the employees to work elsewhere, then they can request that the employee do so. It would then be up to the employee as to whether they wanted to comply or not. If the employee refused, then there is nothing that would prevent the employer from terminating him though..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

thanks