Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Eye blindness after being prescribed Chantix to quit smoking

Customer Question

eye blindness after being prescribed Chantix to quit smoking
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

So I can better assist you, can you tell me what you specific legal question is today? What is it that you would like to know?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
chantix made my eye blind after taking it for 2 and 1/2 weeks please answer

I understand what happened, I was asking what your legal question was? Are you asking if you have recourse against the makers of the drug?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm wondering what can be done I cant see out of one eye after taking Chantix a quit smoking drug

Are you asking about your legal remedies, or what can be done medically? You posted in the legal category, but I can ask a moderator to move it to the medical category if you were asking about that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't believe medically will work. what am I entitled I have lost my sight in one eye

I'll opt out so other experts may assist you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Yes, it appears that drug has been know to cause vision problems. You would want to hire a products liability lawyer to help you with this on a contingency fee basis of usually 1/3 to 45% of what the firm recovers for you. You need to take your five year medical history along with the prescription and any related paper work to such a law firm. They may ask you to come out of pocket for filing fees and copying charges.

This case will turn on what lawyers call a "battle of the experts". The law firm that you hire should have a medical expert that it associates with so that he/she can testify that the drug is the cause of the blindness as opposed to some other cause. Pfizer's lawyers on the other hand will have an expert try to exam your eye and prior medical records to argue that the drug is not the cause of the blindness.

More to come....

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If your claim is successful, you may be able to recover damages in the form of lost wages, medical bills, estimated future lost wages and medical bills, pain and suffering type damages, and possibly punitive damages if fraud or malice is shown.

We are not permitted to refer any particular lawyer to you but this link may help you get started.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.