Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was arrested for domestic assault in December 2015 because

Customer Question

I was arrested for domestic assault in December 2015 because a stranger saw something and understood something that was not accurate. Anyway my wife and I went through complete legal process and finally charges were dropped to noise disturbance. But when I was coming from international trip in July I was restrained at the immigration at the airport for questioning they said this was done because I had a record that popped when scanned my passport.
I am international immigrant and was wonder how could effect me in regards ***** ***** visa application and green card application in the future?
How will it effect my application for a new job? As they perform a criminal background check.
Is there a way I can expunge the record?
Please let me know what I can do to make things easier for me in the future.
Thank you.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I suggest, that you might want to call the clerk of the court where the charge was downgraded and make sure it is not appearing as a Domestic Violence charge. If it is a DV charge on your record, it could affect your green card and you would want to have that removed from your record. It also will appear in background checks. So if you were not convicted of the DV assault and it was downgraded to a noise disturbance, you need to have any reflection of the DV in the court records expunged.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Here is a link to the Michigan law which explains the expungment process and you might want to consider consulting with a local attorney to assist you

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.