Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is it against the law to state a client's first name (nick-

Customer Question

Is it against the law to state a client's first name (nick- name) in closed court when referring to care given to a client with Developmental disabilities? of law in front of an administrative law judge pertaining to my unemployment benefits?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, it is not against the law if the patient's name is required to be mentioned for the argument. See HERE. However, the client's name must only be mentioned if necessary, and even if that, reasonable steps must be taken to minimize the exposure of the patient's information (i.e. possibly referring them by initials, for example) so as to avoid PHI which may identify them in general. The Court is normally understanding of this practice.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.