legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I am a non-licensed business owner wanting to purchase a

Customer Question

I am a non-licensed business owner wanting to purchase a medical practice currenly owned by a Nurse Practitioner in Tennessee. Can I purchase and employ the NP if I contractually stipulate that I (my corp.) can not interfere with their practice of medicine.......
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

A few more minutes please as I look into this.

Thank you for your patience;

According to the TN Board of Medical Examiners a practioner can only transfer their financial rights, governance rights, and membership interest in a business to another licensed practitioner pursuant to cod 63-6-204.

Furthermore, a NP cannot operate independently according to the Attorney General's opinion letter located here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to be sure, if I write a contract that stipulates I will not interfere with any clinical diagnoses, decision or treatment.... I still can not be the owner?

That is correct; any contract that allows for a non licensed individual to have a financial interest in a medical practice will be deemed void if it goes to court; additionally medical malpractice insurance will not cover a nonlicensed owner.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!